Wednesday 22 July 2015

Second visit-KL Fertility Clinic

Our second visit happened about 3 weeks after the first. My husband had given a sperm sample for testing and we were going to find out the result in this visit. I was a bit anxious (as is my nature) My husband was more positive. The results from the test weren't great. The volume of sperms was low at around 7 million (should be around 15-20 million) Everything else like the shape and movement was normal.
Dr Prashant Nadkarni explained to us that with a low sperm count, our chances of conceiving naturally were low. He told us that we had 2 options available to us. Option 1, we straight away go in for IVF. Option 2, we try increasing the sperm count through medication. It takes typically takes 3 months for the sperm cells to mature. After 3 months, we again test and see what the count looks like. If it is normal, then we have IUI along with IVF open. Otherwise, we go for IVF.
I liked the fact that he didn't push for IVF which is costly and an invasive procedure. He suggested that we go for option 2 and see where we are after 3 months. My husband and I agreed with his approach. I also mentioned that I had pain at the same spot when I tried the manual insemination. The doctor was concerned and asked me several times whether I was having any problems with my periods. He said the only thing that could explain the pain was if the opening was blocked but since my periods were happening regularly, that was ruled out. He suggested that we meet after 2 months during day 2-4 of my July cycle where he would do an ultrasound to see whether there was any problem.
My husband was prescribed Proxseed along with other medicines to increase the sperm count and help the cells in maturing. Proxseed is expensive (around RM 400) and is not easily available so it is better to get your supplies from the clinic itself.

My husband and I were disappointed but as my husband reasoned, we now have a course of action. I decided to use the 2 months till my next appoinment to lose some weight. And I'm happy to report that I have managed to lose 4 kilos!

No comments:

Post a Comment