Wednesday 22 July 2015

Manual insemination

On my first visit to Dr Prashant Nadkarni, he advised us that we should use an ovulation predictor kit and use the manual insemination kit 24 hours after the test is positive. I was pretty excited about it and I did my research on YouTube to completely understand what it entailed. The nurse at the KL Fertility Clinic had explained the entire process to me but I'm the sort of person who goes over things multiple times (borderline OCD!)

The ovulation kit is easy to use, You dip the stick in your urine and wait 5-10 minutes for the results to appear. I was advised to use it when I pee for the second time in the day starting from day 8-9 of my period (my cycle length is 25 days) The instructions on the kit, however, mention only that you can test at any time of the day but you should do it at the same time each day. The day after the ovulation test was positive, my husband ejaculated in the sterilized jar. I had laid out a towel on the bed and placed a pillow under my bum so that my hips were slightly elevated. My husband helped me with the syringe and catheter. The catheter was soft and flexible and he connected it to the syringe. We pulled up the sperm into the syringe and then inserted it vaginally. Now in principle, you should insert it uptil your cervix. I had no clue where my cervix is (shocking, I know) so I pushed it as far as I could. I again had pain at the same spot as during my vaginal examination, so I didn't push it too deep. Once all the sperm was inserted, I just lied on the bed for 30 minutes. Once I got up, I saw that there was a wet spot on the towel. I wasn't really expecting to get pregnant but there was still a faint hope. When my period started, I did feel a tiny bit of regret. Well, such is life. 

1 comment: