Wednesday 22 July 2015

First visit- KL Fertility Centre

My husband and I are in our early 30s and have been trying to conceive for some time. Our infertility problems are physical (low testosterone, low sperm count) and psychological. Given all the information about how a woman's age and fertility are negatively related, we decided to consult a fertility expert.

I'm an Indian and have been living in Malaysia since early 2014. Having no family or close friends in the country, I relied upon good ol' Google to find out about fertility doctors. KL Fertility Centre and Dato Dr Prashant Nadkarni were the first few results on Google. I also came across some blogs written by women who had been treated by Dr Prashant Nadkarni and their opinion was wholly favourable. So my husband and I decided to go ahead with a consultation.

First visit (May 2014)- We had our first consultation with the doctor. He said that our problems were very common among young, working couple. He took my medical history- length of my cycle, how regular were they and my parents' medical history (no obvious health issues with my mother, my father was sever diabetes and pulmonary fibrosis) I'd been recording my period dates for over a year so I had a complete record of my last period date and the period cycle (For women looking to get pregnant, please do start tracking your period dates. There are lot of apps available on mobile stores that are handy)

Dr Prashant Nadkarni wanted to examine me vaginally to assess how many eggs I have and take a look at my ovaries and uterus. I've never had a vaginal examination so I was nervous. There was a nice nurse who helped me get ready for the examination. The doctor came in after 5 minutes and took an instrument which was shaped like a longish tube and put a sheath on it. He then proceeded to insert it in my vagina. After a couple of seconds, it started paining. I'm not talking about discomfort which I can bear but this was real pain. Something deep in my lower abdomen was paining and I couldn't help but cry out. The doctor immediately stopped and said that he would examine me manually. That pained as well. The doctor asked me to change. My husband was concerned and asked about the pain. The doctor said that it was probably nervousness and that my vaginal walls were clamping up in tension. There wasn't much he could do but examine me while I'm sedated at a later date.

The doctor also advised us to go for another sperm test. He said that we had a couple of options- manual insemination, IUI and IVF. He advised us to track ovulation using ovulation predictor kits and use the manual insemination kit at home. This consisted of a sterilized jar which is used to collect the ejaculate and a syringe along with a long soft catheter that you use to draw up the sperm and insert in your vagina. You are supposed to do this when you are ovulating to maximize your chances of conceiving. We got all the supplies from the clinic and a nurse again explained the process of manual insemination to us.

My first impression of Dr Prashant Nadkarni was very favourable. He seemed professional and his advice seemed logical. He didn't push for IVF and was very positive. I think I mentioned that people tell me that I'm pretty old to not have a single baby. And he said, "No, you are just 32 years old!" The only con is that he's very busy and you have to wait until your turn.

So what was the biggest lesson for me? Women who are having a vaginal examination for the first time should mention this to their doctors. It can be stressful for some and the doctor can allay your fears.

P.S I should have started recording my journey a couple of months back, so I'll be making several posts to give a complete view of my experience so far.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the best information and suggestions they very nice and very useful to us. You made a good site it's very interesting one.I am satisfied with your site and also your information.
    http://www.ivfadvanced.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who are interested in consulting with the best IVF centre in India they can directly fix their appointment with the Sofat Infertility Centre. We give you perfect results without any side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To know all the information about the IVF treatment you need to do just click on the link and Watch the entire video. We share everything about the infertility treatments that you're want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice post. Fix your appointment at Sofat Infertility and Women Care Centre and you can get a risk free and pain-free treatment. This centre is famous as the best IVF centre in India.

    ReplyDelete
  5. EVA Hospital - IVF Centre is one of the best IVF Centre in Punjab that is offering high-quality IVF treatments with modren techniques and under the guidance of highly experienced fertility experts. Click on the link to know more.

    ReplyDelete